As you can see with a little work we may fix a small problem. Just part of our job and it cost us zero dollars!
Friday, September 17, 2010
What are we doing to our collars on #10 and #11?
On these greens I have noticed for some time that we have developed small areas that have been holding pools of water. Normally the water would just run off the collar area, but through past topdressings and flooding which washes sand and finer soils into the collars, the collars have slowly been built up higher then the green whcih causes standing water and wet spots. There are generally two ways to address the problem. one is to add drainage to the green and the other is to lower the collar. On these two greens we have decided to lower the collar by about 2". What you see now is the completed project. these areas will grow in and will be topdressed to level them out. This should solve the problem for at least five years. Lowering the areas is faster and cheaper then the drainage would be and if that does not work we can always run the drainage later. Here are a few pictures.